[ RadSafe ] Uranium and genotoxicity

Bjorn Cedervall bcradsafers at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 6 21:21:30 CDT 2008

1. I distinguished between effects on the germline and effects on somatic cells.
My comment was not about somatic cells like all cells in a developing embryo
except the germ cells in the gonads.

You are asking a question (birth defects) that I didn´t address. If I am to
respond to that I want to see at least 2-3 peer reviewed papers on the topic
before I come with an opinion.

The paper (from 1991) that has been discussed recently is about male
reproduction in mice. The answer could even be a libido question due to
metallic toxicity.

2. I don´t wish scientific facts to be this or that way. The survivability
for humans in an equilibrium situation follows the same principle as that
of moles regardless of whether we wish/like it or not: With N number of
offspring, an average of N-2 will die regardless of what we wish.

We have, however, over the past 200 years or so strongly manipulated
the fraction of offspring dying before reproductive age (with modern
medicine, manipulation of the environment and so on).
In the longer run Nature can be expected to hit back very forcefully
- right now we are building up a time bomb with "bad mutations" in the
human species - unfortunately, for humanitarian reasons, we cannot
do much about it - for some reading on that see Jim Crow in PNAS:
http://www.pnas.org/cgi/reprint/94/16/8380
(especially the last page)

3. I represent myself and no one else in my statements. I have
written that many times. Most Swedish health physicists have
not studied molecular biology or teratology in detail so I don't
think that there is room for some strong statement where I
should involve others.

If you want to understand the points I am making you should read
the following scientists:
http://www.geocities.com/bjorn_cedervall/Science/evolution_links.html
OK the list is long but if you focus on Fischer, Haldane, Wright,
Dobzhansky, Ayala, Crow, Kimura and Mayr much can be explained.
If it is still too much - read only the books by E. Mayr as he develops
the species concept during the period 1950-1975. Focus in
particular what Mayr writes about allele dynamics.

My personal ideas and reflections which must not be shared by
anyone particular,

Bjorn Cedervall    bcradsafers at hotmail.com