[ RadSafe ] Cancer suit filed against Los Alamos Labs

Perle, Sandy sperle at mirion.com
Sun Jun 22 16:18:09 CDT 2008

>>According to an article in the Las Cruces (NM) Sun-News, Ryman's
daughter "said her father's doctors were mystified about the cause of
his
cancer until they talked to her about his past.
"I told the doctor he grew up in Los Alamos, and he looked at me, put
down
his pen and said, 'Your dad has radiation exposure,' [the daughter]
said."

The link is <http://www.lcsun-news.com/ci_9152106>.  (How's that for a
diagnosis?  The doctor never so much as saw the patient.)<<

Steve,

Not an unusual occurrence. This happens more often than you think.
Worker works with radiation and becomes ill. Member of the public
becomes ill and it's the radiation that causes the illness. This trend
towards litigation is partly what I have written about in the ALARA
dialogue. Employers are at risk where radiation is a part of the work.
People do get ill, and, where there is an illness, radiation is often
suggested at the root cause, right or wrong. If employers or businesses
don't do what is considered prudent, they are portrayed as ruthless and
not concerned about the public's or their worker's welfare. Juries can
be swayed. I observe where employees believe that they have been treated
fairly at work, generally don't sue. If they believe that management has
not treated them fairly, they will often sue.

Regards,

Sandy

Sander C. Perle
President