[ RadSafe ] ALARA

garyi at trinityphysics.com garyi at trinityphysics.com
Mon Jun 23 12:44:51 CDT 2008

Bill,

Did Alara produce the successful facility, or did the successful facility produce doses that
were Alara?

In other words, if you went into a "dirty" plant and made them implement Alara, would the
plant become a model facility?  Or would it still be "dirty" wherever scrutiny was lacking?  I
agree that the correlation you recall exists, but I strongly doubt that Alara is the causative
factor.

Unless you are willing to insist that Alara is a causative factor, your concluding statement is
unfounded.  I assert that the well run facilities you recall would have been just as well run
(perhaps better) if Alara had never been conceived, had never been made a part of the
compliance requirement.

So I'm back to this:  Do we get anything from ALARA that we could
not have just by writing clear regs?

And, this is the last I will post on this issue.  I am so busy keeping things Alara that I have no
more time to think about whether this is a good policy.  :P

-Gary Isenhower