[ RadSafe ] ALARA

Livesey, Lee M Lee_M_Livesey at RL.gov
Tue Jun 24 08:39:08 CDT 2008

Gary,

Your transportation analogy is a classic example of how other industries apply ALARA principles to associated hazards.  During conceptual design of transportation systems, a great deal of attention, effort, and money is spent determining an acceptable level of risk versus the cost of implementation of various designs, materials, and infrastructure.  Off-ramps, on-ramps, traffic lights, warning signs, applicable speed limits are built into the process using cost-benfit analysis.  Automobile safety features are incorporated (lighting, brakes, impact-resistance, seatbelts, airbags, etc) as technology.  Licensing for drivers is regulated with a minimum acceptable level of traffic safety rules and demonstrated ability prior to independent operation.  Is there still risk?  Of course.  Is the risk as low as reasonably achievable?  Depends on your point-of-view.

Lee

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at radlab.nl [mailto:radsafe-bounces at radlab.nl] On Behalf Of dlawrencenewyork at aol.com
Sent: Monday, June 23, 2008 4:22 PM
To: jjcohen at prodigy.net; Al.Conklin at DOH.WA.GOV; garyi at trinityphysics.com; radsafe at radlab.nl
Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] ALARA

 ALARA is not stupid. As a group it we who are stupid. ALARA is only a concept designed to regulate exposures with an eye toward minimizing them - not to eliminate them. The fact that "reasonable" ever entered into the lexicon is the product of the antaonizing and myopic interpretations of regulations by those among us possessive of terminal inertia who use their intelligence to identify "problems" and thwart? solutions instead of harnessing that energy to achieve goals. There is a yin and yang environment that prevaricates between the ridiculous extremes of zero exposure and this stuff isn't really bad for you. That this concept has been so perverted is the product of that environment which bred it - our environment. It is not stupid - it is as insane as we are.

Best Regards,
David Lawrence