[ RadSafe ] Testing bombs

Maury Siskel maurysis at peoplepc.com
Sun Jun 29 01:36:08 CDT 2008

Tried to admit to my relatively crude knowledge of this but ... Back in
those years, there was a popular (if not scientific) distinction between
the atomic bombs that ended WW2 versus the subsequent nuclear or
thermonuclear bombs.

Leaflet drops about the destructiveness of a new bomb were debated. A
broad public warning of a new weapon if Japan did not surrender was
given.  They did not;  we did .... Those two bombs were the only one's
available -- a third was to be completed later in the month and then
others accumulated against their need in connection with the expected
mainland invasion. Given the Japanese military history of refusing to
surrender, the expected casualties from an invasion were expected to be
at least 1.5 million lives.

There apparently was a great deal of internal debate over even using the
weapon at all, over what kinds of warnings might or should be given,
over the delivery of a demonstration perhaps in Tokyo Bay,  and so on.

This thing was not undertaken on some kind of whimsy at all in spite of
the revisionist history that pops up from time to time now -- like the
big flap over the Smithsonian display a few years ago.

Nowhere is it written that humans are consistent .......
Cheers,
Maury&Dog