[ RadSafe ] Testing bombs

Geo>K0FF GEOelectronics at netscape.com
Mon Jun 30 15:01:59 CDT 2008

George Dowell
New London Nucleonics Lab
GEOelectronics at netscape.com

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dukelow, James S Jr" <jim.dukelow at pnl.gov>
To: "Steven Dapra" <sjd at swcp.com>; <radsafe at radlab.nl>
Sent: Monday, June 30, 2008 12:52 PM
Subject: RE: [ RadSafe ] Testing bombs

Nobody has really answered Dapra's original question, which has some
contemporary relevance.

The difference between the U-235 bomb and the Pu-239 bomb is that the Pu-239
was contaminated with other isotopes of Pu that have significant spontaneous
fission rates.  If the process of assembling a critical mass was "slow"
(say, tens of milliseconds), there would be a significant probability that
the assembling critical mass would be "pre-ignited" by stray neutrons from
the spontaneous fissions, leading to a lower yield -- a "fizzle".  The
answer was to used carefully designed explosive charges to assemble the
critical mass very quickly.  Until Trinity, the implosion design was
theoretical and the test was need to give confidence that the weapon would
work.

All of this is very nicely described in The Los Alamos Primer, by Robert
Serber.  It is the annotated notes of the lectures that Serber gave to
physicists and other arriving at Los Alamos to participate in the Manhattan
Project.  The notes were published in 1992 and are currently available from
Amazon.

This problem did not exist with U-235 and the physicists were quite
confident it would work the first time.

The current relevance is that Iran, and earlier, North Korea is/were using
both plutonium production and uranium enrichment to pursue nuclear weapon
capability.  The weaponization issues remain with plutonium weapons and
uranium weapons remain simple to implement once sufficient fissile material
is available (although "deliverable" weapons may be more of an issue).

Dowell's linguistic distinction between nuclear (fission and fusion)
explosions and atomic/chemical explosions is not standard usage, but is
reasonable.  The nuclear weapons involve the release of the nuclear binding
energy of the atomic nucleus, while chemical explosions release the chemical
binding energy of the electron orbitals.

Hanford's weapons mission is over and it is probably not to hard to arrange
tours of most of the facilities, although I haven't tried to do it.

Best regards.

Jim Dukelow
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
Richland, WA
jim.dukelow at pnl.gov

These comments are mine and have not been reviewed and/or approved by my
management or by the U.S. Department of Energy.