[ RadSafe ] Re: uranium smoke is a teratogen

Dan W McCarn hotgreenchile at gmail.com
Tue May 6 01:45:51 CDT 2008

Dan W. McCarn, Geologist; 3118 Pebble Lake Drive; Sugar Land, TX 77479; USA; Home: +1-281-903-7667
mccarn at unileoben.ac.at           HotGreenChile at gmail.com           UConcentrate at gmail.com

Dear Group:

<< U.S. Army work by M. Parkhurst, which say that uranium smoke dissolves into uranyl ions.>>

Pardon me, but isn't that what happens to most uranium (natural and otherwise), that it becomes a complexed uranyl species in meteoric / atmospheric conditions?  What happens to natural uranium species in oxidizing conditions? Exactly the same! As you might be aware, uranium can have quite high concentrations in groundwater.  When that water is consumed, what then?

The fact is that anyone who has ever had a glass of water is exposed to uranyl which is most likely complexed as an aqueous carbonate complex e.g. UO2(CO3)2-2 (dominant species from pH = 6.2 to 7.75) (see Doug Langmuir, 1978-1997).  Perhaps Fore should speciate it with a copy of PHREEQC? (Dave Parkhurst, USGS)

Since everyone on the planet has been exposed to natural concentrations of uranyl ions, constantly, day after day after day for their entire lives, how exactly is this so different from a brief, downwind exposure to smoke? And at what distance? Since the smoke should follow the behavior of a Gauss "puff", as opposed to a "plume", after a kilometer or so of diffusion the concentration is very low. Once the dust settles, infiltration of rainwater will move it deeper into the soil column along with all the other nicely-behaving, natural uranyl complexes.  Then we can consider it part of the English Garden calculation.

The point is that smoke:
   1) is not persistent,
   2) exposure times are brief,
   3) concentrations are low and
   4) natural sources of uranyl complexes dominate exposure in the long run.

Dan ii

Dan W McCarn, Geologist
Houston & Albuquerque (but soon to be Paris!)