[ RadSafe ] New evidence on brain tumors from cell phones?

Tue May 6 16:40:24 CDT 2008

Hi, Franz.

I would bet that the "50%" increase is in a particular cancer with 2 case in the control group and 3 cases in the study group, with the expected range for that size group being 0 to 5.  I would further bet that in some other particular cancer there were more case in the control group than in the study group, again with both results in the expected range.  I doubt that the authors felt that there was any need to confuse the issue by allowing for a positive effect simply because the evidence was as strong as for the supposed negative effect.

Traffic accidents and emergency services: all other cell phone health effects are lost in the grass.

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at radlab.nl [mailto:radsafe-bounces at radlab.nl] On Behalf Of Franz Schönhofer
Sent: Tuesday, May 06, 2008 12:22 PM
To: 'Nils Rudqvist'; radsafe at radlab.nl
Subject: AW: [ RadSafe ] New evidence on brain tumors from cell phones?

Hej,

I read the article, which is quite old, - I speak Swedish - and the article claims that one hour of mobil phone use per day increases cancer risk by 50%. It is not mentioned, which kind of cancer! Nils, you know what kind of newspaper "Aftonbladet" is, but to enlighten non-Swedish members of the RADSAFE community: It is a very low-level and sensationalist "boulevard"-paper.

Nils, you may find some answers, looking at the comments and links of
readers which can be found following the article.

Not being an epidemiologist I would believe that a 50% increase of cancer incidence (which ever) should be so easily detectable, that not the slightest doubt could be - anybody ever heard about this increase?

I am surprised about the comments of some RADSAFErs following this message.
They obviously take that message for granted and true. The very first question to be answered should be, whether it is reliable, true and scientifically founded. From all the background information I seriously doubt it.

Best regards och vänliga hälsningar till Sverige och Göteborg där jag för länge sedan levde i tva manader!

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer, PhD
MinRat i.R.
Habicherg. 31/7