[ RadSafe ] UO{2,3} dissolved: which increases?

Mon May 12 13:45:32 CDT 2008

>Nether has the potential in a lifetime to exceed the possible soluble
uranyl dose from being 100 m downwind of a 5 kg uranium fire.

How do you know?  What is the "soluble uranyl dose" from being 100 m
downwind of a 5 kg uranium fire?  With what kind of plume spreading,
wind shifts, building effects, etc?  And what population numbers are you
talking here?  What is the "soluble uranyl dose" for being downwind of
an unscrubbed coal smokestack (I disagree that "close proximity" is
going to represent the most affected population, as the whole purpose of
a smokestack is to put the exhaust products high up so they will
disperse widely before getting down to people level)?  What population
numbers are you talking about?  If you are saying that a relatively few
(in the thousands, perhaps tens of thousands, to be very, very generous
to you model) are exposed to DU smoke in high concentrations are more at
risk than the tens of millions to billions exposed to lower
concentrations from coal smoke, then you must be rejecting
population-dose and Linear-No-Threshold models.  While I agree that
those models are vulnerable, I haven't seen anything that lets me reject
them outright, yet.  Do you have some research that indicates that large
numbers of people exposed to small amounts of something like uranium are
not at risk?