[ RadSafe ] uranium smoke is a teratogen

garyi at trinityphysics.com garyi at trinityphysics.com
Wed May 21 13:05:44 CDT 2008

Mike,

You expressed that exceptionally well.  Failure to acknowlege "inconvienient truths" is a
pretty common trait for journalists and politicians, who are more concerned about swaying
public opinion than about being right.

In spite of your constructive criticism, I predict that our resident anti-DU anti-hero will press
on with his fact dodging crusade.  He lives for the moments when he can press the send
button and keep the dialogue going for another round.  Since he doesn't admit that he's been
proven wrong on numerous points, the dialogue is about as constructive as a dog chasing his
tail.

For laughs, I have pasted a similarly fruitless conversation below, from a book by S.
Clemens.

-Gary Isenhower
======================
"Your name, please?"

"I hight the Demoiselle Alisande la Carteloise, an it please you."

"Do you know anybody here who can identify you?"

"That were not likely, fair lord, I being come hither now for the first time."

"Have you brought any letters -- any documents -- any proofs that you are trustworthy and
truthful?"

"Of a surety, no; and wherefore should I? Have I not a tongue, and cannot I say all that
myself?"

"But YOUR saying it, you know, and somebody else's saying it, is different."

"Different? How might that be? I fear me I do not understand."

"Don't UNDERSTAND? Land of -- why, you see -- you see -- why, great Scott, can't you
understand a little thing like that? Can't you understand the difference between your -- WHY
do you look so innocent and idiotic!"

"I? In truth I know not, but an it were the will of God."

"Yes, yes, I reckon that's about the size of it. Don't mind my seeming excited; I'm not. Let us
change the subject. Now as to this castle, with fortyfive princesses in it, and three ogres at
the head of it, tell me -- where is this harem?"

"Harem?"

"The CASTLE, you understand; where is the castle?"

"Oh, as to that, it is great, and strong, and well beseen, and lieth in a far country. Yes, it is
many leagues."

"HOW many?"

"Ah, fair sir, it were woundily hard to tell, they are so many, and do so lap the one upon the
other, and being made all in the same image and tincted with the same color, one may not
know the one league from its fellow, nor how to count them except they be taken apart, and
ye wit well it were God's work to do that, being not within man's capacity; for ye will note --"

"Hold on, hold on, never mind about the distance; WHEREABOUTS does the castle lie?
What's the direction from here?"

"Ah, please you sir, it hath no direction from here; by reason that the road lieth not straight,
but turneth evermore; wherefore the direction of its place abideth not, but is some time under
the one sky and anon under another, whereso if ye be minded that it is in the east, and wend
thitherward, ye shall observe that the way of the road doth yet again turn upon itself by the
space of half a circle, and this marvel happing again and yet again and still again, it will
grieve you that you had thought by vanities of the mind to thwart and bring to naught the will
of Him that giveth not a castle a direction from a place except it pleaseth Him, and if it please
Him not, will the rather that even all castles and all directions thereunto vanish out of the
earth, leaving the places wherein they tarried desolate and vacant, so warning His creatures
that where He will He will, and where He will not He --"

"Oh, that's all right, that's all right, give us a rest; never mind about the direction, HANG the
direction -- I beg pardon, I beg a thousand pardons, I am not well to-day; pay no attention
when I soliloquize, it is an old habit, an old, bad habit, and hard to get rid of when one's
digestion is all disordered with eating food that was raised forever and ever before he was
born; good land! a man can't keep his functions regular on spring chickens thirteen hundred
years old. But come -- never mind about that; let's -- have you got such a thing as a map of
that region about you? Now a good map --"

"Is it peradventure that manner of thing which of late the unbelievers have brought from over
the great seas, which, being boiled in oil, and an onion and salt added thereto, doth --"

"What, a map? What are you talking about? Don't you know what a map is? There, there,
never mind, don't explain, I hate explanations; they fog a thing up so that you can't tell
anything about it. Run along, dear; good-day; show her the way, Clarence."