Reviewing was Re: [ RadSafe ] uranium smoke is a teratogen

Jeff Terry terryj at iit.edu
Sat May 24 00:18:30 CDT 2008

Hi Steven,

It is an interesting question that you raise about reading cited
papers. I would not expect every author to read all of the papers that
they cite. One must have a level of trust in the co-authors of a paper.

While it is never good to use oneself as an example as it is too easy
to put ones foot in mouth, here I go anyway. I would imagine that I in
general have around 20 references in my papers and an average of 5
authors on any given paper. That would be 4 papers per author and it
is a manageable number. I would hope that at least one of the authors
of any given paper have read each of the papers that they cite.

As for reviewing, that is an entirely different story. I have had
journal submissions returned with as few as two reviewers. I don't
believe that we are as effective in peer review as we could be. Maybe,
it is because of the larger number of papers submitted and the
explosive growth in the number of journals, which results in too many
reviews being asked of people. I don't know, but I do not believe that
it bodes well. When I review, I do not go through every reference. I,
always, skip those that are not relevant to the major point of the
paper. For example, in the introduction of a paper you usually get the
litany of these references are similar to the work described. I do
read those that are germane to controversial points in a paper and
often suggest other papers that bolster or contradict that authors
comments. Hopefully, my comments provide some benefit to the authors.

In my opinion though, peer review must be improved. It is interesting
to see the Awards program instituted by the American Physical Society
this year to honor extraordinary reviewers:
http://publish.aps.org/OutstandingReferees

Maybe, other societies can do something similar. I would really prefer
to see all published papers be reviewed by at least three people.

Jeff

Jeff Terry
Illinois Institute of Technology