[ RadSafe ] teratogenesis can be pre-utero

Bjorn Cedervall bcradsafers at hotmail.com
Fri May 30 12:54:18 CDT 2008

> >... teratogenesis by definition refers to effects> > engendered IN UTERO....> > On the contrary, any damage to spermatogonium, oogonium, oocyte,> ootid, or ovum chromosomes prior to folliculogenesis may also result> in congenital malformations.
I have now seen the paper. A reasonable interpretation is that the
reduced decrease in pregnancy rate has nothing to do with damage on
the DNA level of spermatogonia or spermatocytes. Natural selection is
against those (fertilzed eggs->mature individuals) less adapted - it
would probably take a large outnumbering of uranium-unaffected sperms
to have an impact on fertility (like having 30-50 % or more of all
sperms mutated). That would not be about malformations however
which is about somatic cells rather than germ cells.

The paper states "Testicular function/spermatogenisis was not affected
by uranium at any dose." In the discussion the authors mention that
decreased libido could be an explanation (I question this possibility
however).

Basically I think that this type of effect (decreased pregnancy rate)
could be seen with more metals than uranium (like say lead for
instance) but this is just a guess - the point is about chemical
toxicity effects rather than anything related to radiation.

For a translation into effects on humans relevance of exposure
(levels and routes) must be considered.

My personal reflection only,

Bjorn Cedervall   bcradsafers at hotmail.com