[ RadSafe ] Question on 10CFR 20

Sandra Matzkin matzkin at invap.com.ar
Fri May 30 13:11:13 CDT 2008

Hi Radsafers,

I have a question regarding 10CFR Part 20 - Standards for Protection
Against Radiation. Specifically the section dealing with dose limits
for members of the public. I'm quoting part of it:

" 20.1301 Dose limits for individual members of the public.
a) Each licensee shall conduct operations so that --

(1) The total effective dose equivalent to individual members of the
public from the licensed operation does not exceed 0.1 rem (1 mSv) in
a year... "(SNIP)

My question is: is this a limit to be complied with by each nuclear
installation (i.e. reactor, plant, etc) independently? or else, in
case there is more than one facility in a given area, should the 1
mSv/year limit be the summation of the contributions from all of
them? FWIW, the latter case is the regulatory concept applicable in Argentina.

I'll appreciate any insights on this subject.

Sandra Matzkin
Nuclear Engineering Department
INVAP SE
Bariloche