AW: [ RadSafe ] Scintillation Counting

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Wed Nov 5 05:46:51 CST 2008

Elaine,

Though there is a lot of information lacking in your description the reason
of this counting behaviour might be a result of the effect as Peter Bailey
has described it already, but I do not really believe that the effect should
be so extremely pronounced.

Information missing: What is the chemical form of your tritium? Is it
dissolved in an organic solvent or in aqueous solution? What is the
cocktail? What kind of instrument do you use?

You use the expression dpm obviously wrongly (also?) for cpm. You should
clarify this and clearly distinguish between them. Did you use a tritium
standard? What about quench?

The mirror systems in an LS counter are optimized for a geometry with a full
vial and I know, that in a technique which is used in ultra low-level C-14
counting and employing very small volumes of benzene vials from quartz were
constructed to hold the counting solution just in the middle of the space
provided for a conventional vial in the measuring chamber.

I personally never dealt with other volumes than the 20 or 22 ml standard
vials, simply because I was doing ultra low-level measurements of tritium in
water. However I have a feeling, that this geometry factor can by far not
explain a loss of 90 % of the counts.

I have used literally for decades only polyethylen vials. Glass vials for
low-level tritium have to be categorically refused, because they have much
higher background values in the tritium region due to the Cerenkov
contribution from K-40.

Best regards,

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer, PhD