[ RadSafe ] A British nuclear submarine leaked hundreds of litresof radioactive waste into a river, it has emerged.

Brian Rees brees at lanl.gov
Tue Nov 11 13:02:59 CST 2008

Wow, this happened to me too, sort of... and I learned from it too!

I was stationed aboard a nuclear submarine in San Diego, CA in the
80's.  We were transferring potentially contaminated water to a tank
on the pier.    It was late afternoon.  We'd established a controlled
area around the tank (probably about 6-8' around it) with
rad-rope.  The tank level gage wasn't very reliable, and we
overflowed the  tank.  I was on the Submarine tender farther down the
pier getting some parts when I heard "SPILL ON THE PIER, SPILL ON THE
PIER, ALL HANDS STAY CLEAR".  I ran down to the Rad-Con department,
where they were getting ready to go down to the pier and
assist.  They were getting boxes of absorbent towels (Kim-wipes)
ready, I took a stack of boxes, probably 3' high and took off down
the pier, peering around the boxes from time to time to get my
bearings.  I could see people on the pier working around the tank,
and headed for them.  I ran up to the rad rope, and offered my
kim-wipes to the folks inside the rope, just like we always did in
drills.   One of the guys said "Rees, look down", I did and
discovered that the spill was 5' or so outside the rad rope, and I
was standing in (potentially contaminated) water... So I set the
boxes down, and started to actually help by moving the rad rope to
OUTSIDE the puddle.  We put bundles of kimwipes down to absorb the
water, some bundles broke open, and we had to chase blowing kimwipes
down the pier, as a news helicopter hovered nearby.  My roomates told
me later that it was pretty comical, especially when they realized I
was involved.  No measurable contamination was found, and water
samples showed no contamination.

What we learned:  1) Keep in mind what boundary ropes are established
for... 2) The topside watch threw a locator dye pack into the water
right after the spill, so it was easy to ensure we obtained a
representative water sample.

If we'd been transferring high level materials we would have done
things differently from the beginning, just as I'm sure these folks
would have.  You take precautions appropriate for the hazard level
you are working at (a concept that seems to be getting lost).

Happy Veteran's Day!

Brian Rees