AW: [ RadSafe ] [RadSafe]Mission to Mars---Fission Propulsion

Jerry Lahti jerry1018 at wowway.com
Wed Oct 1 13:36:50 CDT 2008

While the 1960s Nerva design had some crew compartment shielding, the main
neutron shielding was provided by the liquid hydrogen propellant between the
reactor and the crew compartment. The reactor operating time (and time to
empty the hdrogen tank was about 30 minutes.  With that short of a run time,
the buildup of fission products was small compared to an operating commercial
power reactor.

This was indeed an interesting shielding analysis.

--
Jerry Lahti
Naperville IL