AW: [ RadSafe ] Triathler

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Tue Oct 7 14:58:08 CDT 2008

Glenn,

Yes, I have a little experience with the Triathler. It is a truly portable
instrument, is equipped with an excellent electronical alpha-beta
separation, equivalent and as powerful as the corresponding Quantulus
feature but it is naturally inferior to the low-level beta-measurement
capacity  of the Quantulus, because it is a single photomultiplier
instrument with weak shielding to make it portable.

I had it once with me on a field trip on an IAEA mission in Saudi Arabia for
the measurement of radon in drinking water.

You did not specify, what measurements you want to do - but this is actually
what determines, what instruments to use.

It is produced by the Hidex company in Turku, Finland, but partly
distributed by Perkin Elmer, at least as far as I know this is the case in
the USA.

I would recommend to contact HIDEX in Turku (you can easily find them on
Google). You may mention my name, in this case please give them my best
regards.

Hidex has presented at the recent LSC conference in Davos, Switzerland, a
new counter, which still is easily transportable, but not really portable,
with obviously good sensitivity for beta emitters. I have not tested it yet.

Any further questions on LSC are welcome. Best regards,

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer, PhD
MinRat i.R.
Habicherg. 31/7