[ RadSafe ] " German doctor takes anti-nuclear message to western Canada "

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Thu Oct 9 20:15:21 CDT 2008

Oct. 9

         I did a Google search for Dr. Ernst Iskenius and got some results.

         Here is a link to a blog with a longer article than Franta
posted.  http://pharmadaddy.blogspot.com/2008/10/nuclear-energy.html
The article is from the Peace River (Alberta) Record Gazette.  The article
is followed by a commentary from a pharmacist who is vague about how he did
it, but he managed to obtain citations for two papers about this presumed
increase in cancers around power reactors.  The first paper was published
in Environmental Health Perspectives [115(6):947-952; June 2007].  The link
to the abstract is
<http://www.ehponline.org/docs/2007/9861/abstract.html>.  The abstract has
links to HTML and PDF formats of the full version.  They are each available
at no charge.

         Title and authors are: Childhood Leukemia in the Vicinity of the
Geesthacht Nuclear Establishments near Hamburg, Germany
Wolfgang Hoffmann,1 Claudia Terschueren,1 and David B. Richardson2
1Institute for Community Medicine, Section Epidemiology of Health Care and
Community Health, Ernst-Moritz-Arndt University of Greifswald, Greifswald,
Germany; 2Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University
of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA

         The other paper is "Meta-analysis of standardized incidence and
mortality rates of childhood leukaemia in proximity to nuclear
facilitiies," by P. J. Baker and D. G. Hoel.  The abstract is available at
<http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/117989544/abstract>.  It was
published in the European Journal of Cancer Care [16(4):355-363; July 2007.]

         For the geographers at RADSAFE, Peace River is about 250 miles
northwest of Edmonton, Alberta.  According to my 1991 road atlas, it has a
population of under 1000.

Steven Dapra