[ RadSafe ] Radiation Physicals

Mercado, Don don.mercado at lmco.com
Wed Oct 15 17:35:45 CDT 2008

Good afternoon,

Are any of you conducting pre-employment physicals to screen out
individuals who may have a condition which would preclude them from
being a radiation worker? We used to do them long ago, but when we
thought about it, we couldn't figure out what condition would be cause
for denying employment. So we stopped the physicals (which included a
chest X-ray). I know some employers are requiring the physicals, but
they can't give me a good reason why.

If you are giving physicals, what are you looking for?

Any information would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Donald P. Mercado

Radiation Safety Officer

Explosives Safety Officer

Lockheed Martin Space Systems Company

O/9K-2S, B/157

1111 Lockheed Martin Way

Sunnyvale, CA 94089

Ph. (408) 742-0759

Fx. (408) 756-0504

Don.Mercado at lmco.com

safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in
broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming
-- WOW!!! -- What a Ride!!!"