[ RadSafe ] Hormesis in PNAS Article: Oncogenic bystander radiationeffects . .

HOWARD.LONG at comcast.net HOWARD.LONG at comcast.net
Sat Sep 6 12:04:46 CDT 2008

Myron and radsafers,
Note in Graph 2 D ,  hormesis.
"Mice WBexposed to scatter (0.036Gy)" (34) - did NOT (none) have the expected medulloblastoma, (survival 80% in unexposed controls, 50% in the shielded head "bystander effect" group and 20% in the totally exposed group receiving "12,000 chest x-ray" dose.

Indeed,  heat, sun or ionizing radiation will affect unexposed parts of amimals for good or bad, by many mechanisms, including stimulation of body defenses (like allergy shots) and depend on dose.
This is hormesis. No medulloblastomas in 34 mice receiving 0.036Gy (3.6 rem) when 20% of those with NO radiation died of it by 31 weeks! Kudos to the radsafer who called it to my attention (my recent server change inhibits my naming that contributor)

Howard Long