[ RadSafe ] Red Wine Prevents Radiation Damage

Danny K McClung danny.mcclung at louisville.edu
Thu Sep 25 09:18:13 CDT 2008

Kai, We have all heard of the antioxidant effect of resveratrol. A wonderful secondary benefit of red wine consumption. It seems to me that the modification of resveratrol by acetyl (if it works) is an attempt to produce another "radiation pill" taken before radiation exposure or even after. Perhaps the acetyl will increase or speed up the scavenging of free radicals? Anyone from AFRRI care to weigh in on this? Dan

Danny K. McClung, BS, RRPT
Health Physicist, Asst. RSO
*********************************
University of Louisville
Radiation Safety Office
319 Abraham Flexner Way
Room 102, Library Commons
Louisville, KY 40202
502-852-5231 (phone)
502-852-8911 (fax)
danny.mcclung at louisville.edu

GO CARDS !!

Think Green! Please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to.

>>> "Kai Kaletsch" <eic at shaw.ca> 9/25/2008 9:54 AM >>>
Friends,

My brain cells don't seem to be working very well this morning and I was
hoping someone could help me interpret the article.

It states:

"A natural antioxidant commonly found in red wine and fruit may protect
against radiation exposure.....Tests in mice showed that resveratrol, when
altered using a compound called acetyl, could prevent some of the damage
caused by radiation..."

Does this mean resveratrol is found in red wine? Or, does it mean acetyl is
found in red wine? Or both or neither? Another article
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/ET_Cetera/Impending_nuke_attack_Red_wine_can_help/articleshow/3521575.cms
seems to say the resveratrol comes from the wine. It does not, however, say
that it needed to be altered by acetyl in order to achieve the protective
effect or if it was altered for other purposes (e.g. increase shelf life,
easier to administer to mice etc, etc,)

More practically, does drinking red wine protect against radiation damage or
do you need to extract some compounds and combine them with other compounds
in a lab?

Thanks,
Kai

Kai Kaletsch