AW: RE: [ RadSafe ] The HortonSphere Niagara Falls New YorkArea

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Fri Sep 26 11:16:28 CDT 2008

Doug,

Your explanation for the "ball and pile reactor" seems to me to make
sense. I remember this old design, which was called "pebble bed reactor" (in
German "Kugelhaufenreaktor"), but am rather sure that a lot of research on
it was done at the Austrian (Nuclear) Research Institut as a subcontractor
to the British. Faintly I remember that a kind of a prototype was developed
in Germany, but never reached full operation. Less faintly I think to
remember that South Africa is working on such a kind of reactor, may be
close to the goal. I have not made any closer research into it, because I
believe that there are many more collegues at RADSAFE who are much better
informed than I am. Please explain!

I had really exactly the same thoughts as Mike Brennan on the significance
of claiming to have found plutonium, polonium, caesium and fission products,
without telling about the quantities. Even more, if waste from another
nuclear installation has been officially brought to this site. "Traces" of
these radionuclides  m u s t  be found there or otherwise the analytical
procedures (not only gammaspectrometry) must be wrong or unacceptably
insensitive. (It is the same with this ridiculous "Tooth Fairy Project" as I
have written several times on Radsafe: If one cannot find any Sr-90 in teeth
anywhere in the world, then something is wrong with the analysis. (BTW, I
have not heard anything about this project since a very long time - is it
still done, have they run out of supporters who waste their money or have
they been convinced by now, that it is nonsense? The latter I doubt....)

Finally, I cannot really understand the goal of these "relevations". It
seems to be a fact that there is contamination there and as far as I
understand it is there, whether a nuclear reactor had been in operation or
not. (Where is the infrastructure hidden?) So what? Yes, it might be of
historical interest, but not of any radiological one.

Some RADSAFErs might know that I am very interested in the history of
nuclear power and nuclear bombs, I have a lot of books on that topic, even
historical ones. But I have never read about any reactor in that area or any
research for the Manhattan Project. To my opinion the reports about the
circumstances of the history of the Manhattan Project are rather detailed
and open nowadays. Even the report of H.D. Smythe, which was authorized for
publication in August 1945 gives to my surprise a lot of information, which
probably would not have been given during the cold war. I am the proud owner
of two copies of this report - one is the original one, printed in the USA
and the other one was printed obviously immediately thereafter (1945) in
London. Any financial offers for either of them are useless, they are not
for sale!

Could it be that some people like to play Sherlock Holmes? But they forgot
the magnifying glass.

Best regards,

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer, PhD