[ RadSafe ] Re: radsafe Digest, Vol 192, Issue 1

Tony Harrison laharris at smtpgate.dphe.state.co.us
Tue Apr 7 09:55:26 CDT 2009

There is very little in the literature about uranium in hair, and no meaningful studies on populations.  We've had many customers call us reporting "high" results: sometimes there is measurable uranium in their water, sometimes there isn't.

In relation to another project we recently had to shop for hair Standard Reference Materials with certified metals values.  They exist, but we couldn't find any that certify the uranium concentration.  We measure it anyway, and get consistent results, but it's not clear how it relates to "normal".

The most academic information I'm aware of comes from the Agency for Toxic Substances & Disease Registry (ATSDR) and can be found here:

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/HAC/hair_analysis/

It's from 2001 and documents how ignorant we are about all aspects of testing hair for metals, including uranium.  I'm not aware that any of the gaps have been filled since then, but would appreciate any more recent references.