AW: [ RadSafe ] re: News Report

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Thu Apr 16 15:38:42 CDT 2009

Joel,

Thank you for your message. I expected something similar, because in almost
all (but not 100%) of cases the story turns out like this - the first
speculations of mass media are totally unfounded and cannot be verified. But
the goal of their news distributions has been reached - raise the adrenalin
level of the readers.

We had in Austria several similar cases. One person from South Africa was
arrested because he wanted to sell nuclear weapons grade uranium. He
transported it in his rucksack. What it really was: Some low grade natural
uranium ore. I have taken such specimens with me after my last visit to my
beloved US South West - no complaint either on departing the USA nor
arriving in Vienna. For some criminals it seems to be worth a try to find
people who are willing to pay millions for nothing - what a good business. I
do not intend to enter this business with my Colorado rocks, because I do
not want to spend my retirement even for a month in prison! Since I know
that in the USA (not in Europe) americium based smokedetectors can be put
into the waste bin it should not be to difficult to find enough of them to
pretend "material for a dirty bomb".

Probably some authorities should take it a little more easy with all these
alarms. What I extract from your message is, that the Ukrainian authorities
still have good instrumentation and trained scientists. But I know this,
since I was in 1988 in Kiev in the course of post-Chernobyl activities.

Just out of curiosity: If you find out more about the case, please keep the
RADSAFE community informed!

Best regards,

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer, PhD