[ RadSafe ] Anyone have a comment ? about radon risk and 226 Ra in milk ??

blreider at aol.com blreider at aol.com
Tue Apr 28 17:40:25 CDT 2009

Bill,

The remediation sites I was involved with in a review capacity used about 2.5 to 5 pCi/g Ra-226 as a soil cleanup level for unlimited future use by the public.  This generally is what the regulators would accept, and assumed a large volume homogenous source of Ra-226.  Your configuration is different with drywall: the volume is smaller & houses have air exchanges which reduce radon daughter buildup (WL) in the air.  Sheetrock is not the same as dealing with wall contamination but another benchmark that you can use in your evaluation is the USNRC Regulatory Guide 1.86 contamination guidelines for Ra-226 are 100dpm/100cm2 average total.  You can do the math to see how this works out.

My general feeling is that the amounts your lab identified are very low and would most likely be acceptable to your regulators. Regulators vary in what they accept in soil so there is no single answer from state to state and region to region.  To find out for sure you could contact the regulator, do a literature search to determine what has been acceptable at other local sites, and/or use a program such as RESRAD to evaluate risk in accordance with EPA acceptable methods for a worst-case building.

Also, as the below person indicated, it is always very important to consider the method of analysis, interferences and statistics when dealing with such small concentrations and quantities of radionuclides, just to verify that the data is indeed meaningful.

Perhaps someone else h
as worked with acceptable levels in sheetrock, my information is only for soils.  Phil Rutherford has a website that has lots of remediation information:  http://www.philrutherford.com/Radiation_Cleanup_Standards/DECON-1.pdf

Good luck.

Barbara Reider, CHP