[ RadSafe ] FW: [GeigerCounterEnthusiasts] Re: BestDosimeter/Personal Rad Monitor

Thu Aug 6 11:29:23 CDT 2009

I think the most important advice it to budget in TRAINING for the
people who will get the equipment, both initial and ongoing.  Otherwise
I suspect the most likely outcome of buying these devices will be that
they get tossed into lockers by people who believe (possibly correctly)
that they already have enough crap hanging off of them, with the second
most likely outcome being an embarrassing false positive, with bad PR
and possibly people dying.

I have provided training for firefighters, and it is amazing the depth
for fear of radiation that they displayed.  These are people who have
"enter burning building" in their job description, but they said (at the
beginning of class) that if they pulled up on a call and "the radiation
alarm" went off, they would call it in and wait until HAZMAT got there,
no matter what else was going on.

"Hardware is useless without software; Software is useless without
training."