[ RadSafe ] NORM in CO2...

Dan W McCarn hotgreenchile at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 14:45:18 CDT 2009

Dear Mike:

Source of CO2: The bulk of the CO2 probably comes from the respiration of
bacteria in the oil & gas reservoir. CO2 reacts with water (H2O + CO2 <=>
H2CO3)and speciates to form carbonates H2CO3 - HCO3- and CO3-- in solution.
The HCO3- forms an aqueous species with calcium, keeping it in solution as
well as lowering / controlling the pH with increasing partial pressure of
CO2.

Radium: Since oil and gas deposits are formed in chemically reducing
environments, they syngenetically entrain finely divided uranium along with
it as a stable mineral, uraninite, UO2, a U+4 species. As the uranium
decays, the radium is more mobile and is probably initially cation-exchanged
onto surfaces e.g. clays, but with the increasing concentration of NaCl
brine, Ra++ dislodges and is brought into solution.  This is much like
adding NaCl salt to the ion-exchange resins of a water softener to dislodge
the Ca++. The NaCl brine forms/evolves in oil and gas fields from the high
confining pressures.  The high osmotic pressure forces clean H2O through the
semi-permeable rock but retains the anions / cations, principally NaCl, thus
the evolution of oil-field brines.

Scale: CO2 evolves or degasses from the high-pressure water / gas mixture as
it is brought to the surface with gases effervescing from a watery solution
which also sometimes carries extremely toxic H2S with it (It also speciates
as a diprotic acid, just like H2CO3). With a significant reduction in
partial pressure of CO2, the Ca++, then in solution, plates-out as scale,
co-precipitating the Ra++ along with it. With the release of pressure, the
pH rises.  When it reaches atmospheric equilibrium with CO2, the pH has
shifted from about 4 or 5 to over 8 and has precipitated almost all of the
available calcium.

Thus, NORM and TENORM from scale deposits in piping. Yippee!

Best!

Dan ii

--
Dan W McCarn, Geologist