[ RadSafe ] Optical Couplant

Syd H. Levine syd.levine at mindspring.com
Tue Aug 25 07:33:14 CDT 2009

Anybody have any leads on the best place to purchase some optical coupling
grease / gel for assembling PMTs and scintillation crystals?  I need a good
grade since we do detectors for oil well logging tools and they are subject
to temperature extremes.

Apparently the old GE G-688 is not available at this time.  Dow Corning
Q2-3067 is available, but they want a small fortune for the stuff.  In fact,
even the secondary sources seem to think the stuff is now worth its weight
in gold since the last time I acquired some.  Anynbody use the Visilox (now
made by Blue Star) product and have an opinion how it compares to the GE or
Dow material?

A couple of ounces lasts us for years and years, and in fact we still have
plenty of the material, but it is so old, I am supicious of its "goodness".
I have most of a 4 oz. bottle of Q2-3067, but while it is still clear and
the proper consistency, it has taken on a slight amber hue.  I also have an
old bottle of Bicron material from long before the Saint-Gobain days, and it
is still water clear, but has the consistency of stiff jello, hard to work
with.

Thanks.

Syd H. Levine
AnaLog Services, Inc.