[ RadSafe ] Sealed Source Disposal

ROY HERREN royherren2005 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 26 18:36:09 CDT 2009

EnergySolutions Inc., Utah, see http://www.sltrib.com/ci_12978578
 Roy Herren

________________________________
From: "Jimsradco at aol.com" <Jimsradco at aol.com>
To: radsafe at radlab.nl
Sent: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 10:35:22 AM
Subject: [ RadSafe ] Sealed Source Disposal

Hello Radsafers,

Here's a topic that hasn't been discussed too much and one that we're very
curious about. Now that the Barnwell disposal site has been closed to almost
the entire country for over a year, what is happening to all the sealed
radioactive sources that used to be shipped there on a regular basis? We, and
I'm sure the other radioactive waste handlers,  processed and shipped
thousands of them a year to Barnwell and now virtually no sources are sent there,
to our knowledge. I realize some of them are being returned to the
manufacturers and some can go to Los Alamos or Richland, but what about the thousands
of small ones that aren't being sent to those facilities? I once heard that
there are in excess of 200,000 sealed sources in use around the US and most
have fairly short half-lives, relatively speaking. Makes one wonder where
they are all going. Comments?

Jim Bell
ADCO Services, Inc.
Tinley Park, IL