[ RadSafe ] Anti-nuclear zealots over the globe.

Dan W McCarn hotgreenchile at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 14:13:32 CDT 2009

Hi Mike:

I understand your rejection of conservative assumptions.

I re-wrote a large portion of the GENII codes in my study of the Alamosa
Basin.  The estimates of transfer coefficients e.g. water to soil; soil to
plant; plant to animal; etc. I believe are quite conservative giving rise to
a likely overestimate in dose.  Since I had no budget to actually measure
the radium distribution in crops (potatoes, carrots, alfalfa, hay, wheat,
etc.) and vertical distribution of radium / uranium in agricultural soils,
or measure the accumulated radium in the control group, the guesses remain
just guesses based on measurements of groundwater geochemistry and using the
transfer coefficients / soil buildup to estimate ultimate dose in GENII.

Looking at other data in similar geological settings e.g. data from
Kazakhstan involving a single event in which sheep / horse herders broke the
well head of a uranium exploration well to allow free-flowing, artesian
water from uranium deposits to provide drinking water for livestock.
Estimates of soil retention from measured transects suggest that vertical
redistribution of uranium w.r.t. time, is significantly different than the
published values (gosh, who would have thunk!).  In the Kazakh data, the
uranium seems to mobilize very rapidly through the soil profile making it
not very available for uptake into crops.  The radium, as expected is
retained and concentrated in the upper soil zone.

The difference between a model and the "real thing" can be very significant.

But in cases like the WIPP, a "worst case" intrusion scenario including
overpressured pockets below the repository was also used. While it is not
unlikely that the repository will be drilled in some distant future, and it
happens that there are overpressured pockets in the Delaware Basin, the
joint probability of both features / events (remembering FEPS - Features,
Events & Processes) occurring are rather remote.

Just thinking!

Dan ii
--
Dan W McCarn, Geologist