[ RadSafe ] Global Warming

George Stanford gstanford at aya.yale.edu
Wed Dec 9 22:32:22 CST 2009

Mike & Peter:

      Just to be clear, the fission-yield percents
below do not represent the fraction of the fission
products.  The fission "yield" is defined as the
fraction of fissions that yield the isotope in
question.  Because there are two fission
fragments per fission, 93Zr (for example), with
a fission yield of 6.30%, comprises 3.15% of
the fission products.  Not that it makes much
difference in the current context.

       Here's Peter's table with the half-lives added:
99Tc:      0,2M yr      6.05% thermal 235U fission yield
135Cs:      2.3M yr     6.33%
129I:       15.7M yr    0.66% only
93Zr:        1.5M yr    6.30%

      Because the specific activity of the long-lived
fission products is so low, there's a number of
relatively easy ways to manage them safely.  One
possibility would be to match each nuclear plant
with a coal plant of equal capacity, and mix the
long-lived fission products uniformly with the
coal ash before shipping it off to the land fill.
Here's a ball-park calculation:

     A 1-GWe coal plant produces about 2 million
tons of ash per year, with a uranium content (at
~170 ppm) of ~340 tons.  A 1-GWe nuclear plant
produces about 1 ton of fission products per year,
including ~200 pounds total of the four isotopes
listed.

      For the first half-million years or so, the fission-
product activity is dominated by the 99Tc.  In curies,
if my figgerin' is correct, the 238U activity in the
coal ash is some 13 times the 99Tc activity.

      In other words, the radioactivity of those long-
lived nuclides would not increase the activity of the
coal ash by even 10% -- and that neglects the
  tons of thorium and whatever else might be in
the ash.

      Corollary:  At the <1% resource utilization
of today's thermal reactors, that 340 tons of
uranium would yield  ~3.4 GWe-years of nuclear
energy -- i.e., 3.4 times as much energy as came
from burning the coal.  With fast reactors, at 99%
utilization, that uranium would yield 340 times as
much energy as the coal did.

      Maybe someone would like to check my
numbers -- I've been know to slip a decimal place
now & then.

      Cheers,

      -- George