[ RadSafe ] Re: Americans skeptical about alleged global warming "consensus"]

Maury Siskel maurysis at peoplepc.com
Fri Dec 4 00:13:30 CST 2009

I think this topic is related significantly to Radiation Safety because
the topic, I believe, will lead in time to a resurgence of nuclear power
as a world source for electricity.

As an opinionated retired research scientist I've followed the climate
topic seriously for quite a long time. The public opinion change has
grown very slowly and gradually. Only a very small portion of the
general public seems aware of the connection to the UN, few seem aware
that IPCC is a UN agency, and fewer still know that the IPCC was
conceived and developed by people associated with the WMO which is also
associated with the UN.

It has become increasingly apparent that the IPCC and associated
scientists have departed from a genuine science base for years. Seitz,
Singer, and many others described in detail how this developed and has
continued to grow. The AGW proponents have relied increasingly on
mathematical/computer models and have built their case on results from
model runs. They also did depend heavily upon empirical data gathered
from world wide surface measurement stations which results have been
shown to be badly flawed by urban heat island effects and other siting
problems. Approximately 3000 stations in Russia no longer even report
meassurements -- a rather serious dent in sample size.

The findings from model runs have long been at odds with empirical data.
It takes longer to collect empirical data, but the publications have
continued to swell making the discrepancies increasingly obvious. But
all of this is a great illustration of the self correcting nature of
genuine science. Hypotheses and theories are confirmed or modified or
they die. Too many people are too proud to admit that they don't know
(in the colloquial sense) yet. The political agenda of Maurice Strong
was a terrible influence from the outset in the 1980s. The political and
financial influences have become overwhelming as the doomsday nature of
the topic has been more widely sold. I have often mentioned the Tulip
Bulb Mania in this connection and I think it remains appropriate.

Maybe we are near or perhaps just passed the peak price of tulip bulbs.
Opinions have huge political relevance, but are of little scientific
significance.