[ RadSafe ] Re: Global Warming

garyi at trinityphysics.com garyi at trinityphysics.com
Mon Dec 7 10:41:46 CST 2009

Sandy makes good points, but lets separate "pollution is unhealthy for humans" from "stop
breathing cause you're killing Gaia."  On the first issue, I think we can mostly agree that we
want less pollution.  We can work toward that goal without bankrupting (more than it already
is) the US.

What about the other question?  Is the world going to be destroyed by man-made global
warming?  Well, gee, it turns out that is in fact a lie.  When I say "lie" I'm not just indulging in
hyperbole - the IPCC climate scientists are FAKING THE DATA.  Will it really be too late to
save the planet if we don't act NOW?  Nope, sorry, thats a lie too.  Go back and read Otto's
excellent and concise post, for which he also included supporting references.  Here's the key
sentence:

> Atmospheric scientists should be aware that there is too little carbon dioxide in the atmosphere to have a major effect
> on the Earth's temperature and there is really no meaningful correlation between carbon dioxide levels and the earth
> average temperature over past centuries

So, try to disconnect the global warming hoax from the pollution question.  There is no
apocalyptic global warming disaster compelling us to get to zero CO2 emissions immediately.
The earth is cooling, so maybe its too bad that all that CO2 isn't elevating the temperature a
little bit.  Instead of rushing blindly forward to reduce CO2, which not a pollutant despite
claims by the EPA, lets stop a minute and ask ourselves who we would want to write our
energy policies for optimal future health and prosperity.  How about the folks who, for
decades, have kept us from developing any of the smart and clean nuclear options I've heard
about on this list, thereby creating a lot of the real pollution we actually do have as well as the
imaginary threat of CO2 doom?  No, we would be stupid to pick those people.  Unfortunately,
we already did!  The current US administration can't allow any meaningful progress on
nuclear energy, because the core political base supporting this administration is about as
anti-nuclear as you can get.

My main objection to Sandy's post is that reducing CO2 will not reduce pollution, except
maybe indirectly by destroying the economy.  Otherwise I mostly agree with Sandy that we
should reduce pollution.  Therefore, instead of spending all our money and effort on an
absolutely useless and wasteful political scheme, we should be focusing on real pollutants.
The current rush to reduce CO2 is the intellectual equivalent of carting dirt from one side of
the earth to the other, so as to save us from the dreadful day when the planet will tip over.

-Gary Isenhower