[ RadSafe ] Global Warming

George Stanford gstanford at aya.yale.edu
Tue Dec 8 19:36:02 CST 2009

Stephane:

      You ask, "But can anyone here tell me that
we have improved the radwaste aspect in 20
years?"  The answer is yes, we certainly have.

      Most of today's reactors (CANDUs and LWRs)
are "thermal" -- the neutrons are moderated
(slowed down) before they cause their
fissions.  Thermal reactors are inherently unable
to utilize more than a percent of the energy in
the mined uranium -- usually less -- and their
"waste" (which really is slightly used fuel)
contains the long-lived transuranic isotopes
(TRU) that give people heartburn when they start
imagining terrible things happening 10,000 years
down the road, if the stuff should happen to dissolve in the ground water.

      So, enter fast reactors.  Because of their
better neutron economy, they are able to consume
all the actinides -- uranium and transuranics,
including plutonium -- and therefore can function
in comfortable symbiosis at the back end of the
thermal-reactor fuel cycle.  Arguably, the best
fast-reactor design is the Integral Fast Reactor
(IFR), developed at Argonne National Laboratory
in the 1980s and '90s, in a program that was
cancelled for non-technical reasons by the
Clinton administration in 1994 -- just as it was
getting ready for a commercial demonstration.  At
present there is a growing movement to proceed
with that commercial-scale demo.  Meanwhile,
India and China, for two, are pushing ahead with
their own fast-reactor programs.

      Anyway, Canada I am told is preparing to
waste some $24 billion to drill boreholes for
getting rid of spent fuel -- even though it is a
major energy resource, containing 100 times as
much energy as it so far has yielded.  Someone
should tell the planners that their $24 billion
would build at least 3 GWe of IFRs -- maybe 6 or
8 GWe -- which would be enough to sequester
securely the long-lived TRU from 150 - 400
GWe-years of CANDU power (maybe all that exists),
producing economical energy to boot.

     Then the only waste would consist of fission
products, which can be easily isolated in various
ways for 300 - 500 years, by which time their
radioactivity has decayed below any reasonable level of concern.

      Lots of details can be found on the Web and
in print.  In case you want to dig further, here are some recommended links:

< http://tinyurl.com/2dlfwy >
< http://www.nationalcenter.org/NPA378.html >
< http://tinyurl.com/2gnctw >
< http://tinyurl.com/34uxob >