AW: [ RadSafe ] Global Warming

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Wed Dec 9 10:52:10 CST 2009

Thank you George for this comment or rather your information about fast
reactors and their future possibilities. (We ground an axe some months
ago.....) I hope that I will have time to check the literature links you
gave.

Everybody may have a vision for the future - even nuclear engineers and
scientists - but one has unfortunately always to take politics (and
economics) into consideration. The "vision" you sketched is quite
reasonable, but not acceptable by politics within the next years or decades.
Only when oil supply will exhaust and it will be world wide accepted that
the dream of so-called renewable energies are by far not enough to supply
the energy hunger of the world and especially not that of the underdeveloped
world there might be a drastic change in the acceptance of nuclear power. A
slow change in Europe I reported some time ago on RADSAFE - following
accuses of a well known US-hardliner on RADSAFE that I am anti-US.

Best regard from the "nuclear free" ("atom free") Austria!

P.S. My friend Peter Bossew is right. Especially I-129, Tc-99 or even C-14
are of much concern about long term cumulative doses to the population and
should not be neglected. This has been (among many other issues) the topic
of several international conferences on "Migration". Again we see that a
very interdisciplinary approach is necessary for questions in radiation
protection and clinging to one single graph like in the RADSAFE climate
debate is not acceptable. Potential doses are not negligible after decay of
tranuranics - if the radionuclides would be able to reach the human sphere
and - if humans would still exist then........

Best regards,

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer, PhD
MinRat i.R.