[ RadSafe ] Global Warming

Peter Bossew Peter.Bossew at reflex.at
Wed Dec 9 14:04:13 CST 2009

"Brennan, Mike  (DOH)" <Mike.Brennan at DOH.WA.GOV> writes:
>There aren't actually a lot more isotopes after the etc.

this is true.

>, but yes, there
>are some fission fragments that have long half lives.  However, they
>represent a small fraction of the inventory of fission products in
>"fresh" spent fuel, either on an atom basis or an activity basis.  They
>also generally represent a small fraction, again on an activity or atom
>basis, of the fissile material that was consumed by the reaction (the
>exact ratio is dependent on many factors).

small ?
99Tc: 6.05% thermal 235U fission yield
135Cs: 6.33%
129I: 0.66% only
93Zr: 6.30%

while 99Tc and 129I can be subjected to transmutation (in principle; if
someone is willing to pay for this), 135Cs and 93Zr cannot, to my
knowledge.

Has anybody calculated what a system - certainly scientifically beautiful,
on paper -  would cost (e.g. in Euro / MWh) which includes advanced
reactors, reprocessing of high burn-up fuel, actinide burning,
transmutation of fission products, and including probably decades of
development until it works large scale ? Any figures available ?

Peter Bossew