[ RadSafe ] Chernobyl Exclusion Zone Radioactive LongerThan Expected

Dan W McCarn hotgreenchile at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 23:04:00 CST 2009

Hello Cary & Peter!

Cary, the answer in short is yes, the R/N source term is incorporated into
the trees rendering them unusable commercially.  Peter, much of the
contaminants in the Prypiat Swamp area to the north have significant humus
material.

The Chernobyl exclusion zone is principally forested areas - That area to
the north, the Prypiat Swamp, has soils that have a significant amount of
humus material.  Since Cesium and Strontium have high cation exchange
selectivities, they are easily cation-exchanged / adsorbed onto the humus
(high cation exchange capacity). From the Sosny Labs work, about 95% of the
total R/N source term is carried in the upper 10-15 cm of soil plus the
trees, of course.  There are some figures in the following two reports that
look at cumulative source term with depth in forest soils. An important
characteristic is that the upper soil zone has about the same amount of
caloric value as the other tree biomass making it a good fuel.

An interesting aspect in the more clay rich agricultural soils is that the
Cs/Sr becomes adsorbed onto clays, sometimes irreversibly adsorbed. This
makes the material far less biologically available.

Two papers:

McCarn, D., Dubovik, L., Iakoushev, A., and Grebenkov, A. (1996): The
Ecological-Commerce (ECO-COM) Zone Concept for Developing Biomass Energy
from Contaminated Resources: A New Demonstration Zone for the Republic of
Belarus, in International Topical Meeting on Nuclear and Hazardous Waste
Management, Seattle, Washington, August 18-23, 1996, pp. 1417-1424.

Grebenkov, A. and McCarn, D.W. (1996): The US-Belarus Joint Projects
Associated with Remediation of the Chernobyl Contaminated Sites,
Environmental Opportunities in Central and Eastern Europe and the Newly
Independent States, in Partnerships for Solutions Forum, Colorado School of
Mines, Golden, Colorado, p. 19-35.

Most of the re-release and re-distribution of R/N source term in the
forested areas occurs from wild fires.  Since the forests are no longer
"commercial", they are not managed so effectively presenting a greater
frequency of wildfire. We proposed that the economics for remediation could
be driven by development of biomass power engineering projects using
fluidized-bed combustion technology and encapsulation of the bottom / top
ash with minimum redistribution of source term through the stack. Any
release would be a very tiny fraction of the release caused by wildfire, and
the forests could be again "managed" e.g. fire lanes and fire controls.

Dan ii

--
Dan W McCarn, Geologist
2867 A Fuego Sagrado