[ RadSafe ] RE : Chernobyl Exclusion Zone Radioactive Longer Than Expected

Bailey, Pete Pete.Bailey at fpl.com
Wed Dec 16 09:56:07 CST 2009

>Cesium 137's half-life - the time it takes for half of a given amount

of material to decay - is 30 years, but the amount of cesium in soil near

>Chernobyl isn't decreasing nearly that fast. And scientists don't know
>why

Not withstanding the discussion about plant 'recycle'; there must be an 'unknown'  source of Cs-137 to allow the measured concentrations to exceed
the values based on the physical half-life.
This 'unknown' source could be such things as poor (underestimated)  time=0 values or an underground (soils,clay etc)
deposit of Cs that is feeding the 'assumed' fallout only Cs concentration profile.

I also believe, from my own continuing experience with Rad Env Monitoring, the Cs fallout still occurs; sample results I see in vegetation does not truly follow 30 yr
....but that is very tied to "when is T=0"   . . .  late 50's when 'we' stopped' ?  how about the Chinese weapons tests in the 60's, etc.

Interesting note, however, Gross Beta in Air did follow a nice Rad Decay curve....