[ RadSafe ] I131 patient during intercontinental flight

Moshe Levita mlevita at tasmc.health.gov.il
Mon Feb 9 02:21:52 CST 2009

Dear Colleagues,

Many Iodine 131 patients arrives in Israel to be treated and then fly back home.

The patient stays in the award until the residual dose is below certain level.

(Residual activity is calculated by the measurement of dose rate at 1 m)

I wonder at what residual activity it will be reasonable to allow the patient to fly back to his country.

 One have to take into considerations :

1.  Five hours flight of sitting beside another passenger (who might be a child or pregnant women)

2.  Definite contamination of the airplane toilet, toilet cleaning, toilet disposal etc.

3.  Possible triggering of airport radiation alarm monitors.

Any suggestion will be welcomed.

Moshe Levita

Chief Radiation Executive

Ministry of Health