[ RadSafe ] Re: I131 patient during intercontinental flight

Wed Feb 11 12:07:57 CST 2009

I think this is an important point.  While I agree with Clayton that
there are many members of the public who would not want to travel with
someone who had received treatment and was "radioactive", regardless of
how low the risks, I am not at all sure that it right to cater to
unreasonable fears.  Would it be appropriate restrict the travel of
members of certain ethnic groups because some other people might not
want to get "contaminated" by using the same seats, restrooms, drinking
fountains, etc.?  Or to allow the beliefs of some religions that
menstruating women are "unclean" to dictate when and how women could
travel?

This has, in my opinion, parallels to the discussion over whether
irradiated food should be marked as such, so that non-evidence-based
fears can be used to stir up the public against the process.  I
recognize that outrage is part of the risk communication equation, but I
don't think it should be allowed to outweigh the actual hazard.

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at radlab.nl [mailto:radsafe-bounces at radlab.nl] On
Behalf Of Richardson David (RDE) Colchester Hospital University NHS
FoundationTr
Sent: Wednesday, February 11, 2009 8:54 AM
Cc: radsafe at radlab.nl
Subject: RE: [ RadSafe ] Re: I131 patient during intercontinental flight

Why do I keep thinking about the Litvinenko case for this scenario.

If you are not familiar with the case, do a google search for
"litvinenko contamination" (Yes, that was Po210 but the point is
contamination was found on aircraft). Now ask yourself - what would the
(not necessarily your) response be from Joe Public to being asked to fly
on aircraft with radioactive contamination?

No matter how low the contamination was, would the (uninformed) public
still want to fly on these aircraft? What would the operators of these
aircraft (want to/have to) do to get the public to use these planes?
(risk assessment on an individual basis, radiation monitoring, cleaning,
crew/maintenance exposure) etc. etc. etc.

If the I131 patient used the loo on the flight, what about the dose to
the guy who has to unblock the toilet if it gets blocked - will he know
he's dealing with radioactive material.

Would the "patient" have a "duty of care" to inform the airline they
will be contaminating their vehicle?

There are many worms in this can.

Best regards

David Richardson