[ RadSafe ] Indian radioactive metal found in Germany

Tue Feb 17 12:19:34 CST 2009

>The magazine quoted unnamed experts from the environment ministry
saying the affair had a "huge dimension."

What, the affair is very wide?  It is much higher than expected?

Many years ago some steel contaminated with Co-60 made it into a number
of products in the USA (as I understand it, some foundries use Co-60
sources behind the refractory brick as a way of telling when the brick
has eroded away so much that it needs to be replaced, and sometimes
these sources wind up in the steel).  While most of the items were
really of no concern (though I believe all that could be found were
gathered up for disposal), there were some that really did present an
ALARA issue.  These were the legs for those pedestal type tables that
they have in bars and clubs, where the tables are so small that you sit
with your knees on either side of the single leg.  The activity in was
high enough that when one of my coworkers went to one of the clubs that
had received these tables, his instrument started showing above
background while still in the parking lot.

Given that the exposure from these tables was rather focused on the
gonads, I have to agree that getting them out of circulation was a good
idea.  On the other hand, if one is spending enough time sitting at a
table in a bar that one would get significant dose from this source,
there are perhaps lifestyle choices that present higher risk than
radiation.

Still, I guess the lesson is that when spending time in a bar, one
should be aware of the risk posed by unusually hot legs.