[ RadSafe ] Deadly embrace: NRC policy can exposechildrento radioactivity, by retired........

Conklin, Al (DOH) Al.Conklin at DOH.WA.GOV
Wed Jan 7 09:44:36 CST 2009

You have to realize what little radiation knowledge is really out there.
They realized they were wrong when they found they were dealing with
mostly little old ladies or other folks who weren't feeling too well.
Fortunately, before they over reacted too much, they would call us and
we could straighten it out quickly. Since the over reactions, we have
been able to train those who carry the pagers and we haven't had any
mishaps since (that I've heard of).
One of our mishaps involved a pager going off at the rear of a car at a
ferry landing. They thought there was radioactive material in the trunk
and pulled the car out of line and tore it apart looking for the
material. They collected a spectrum and sent it back to the National
Labs (Reachback). Turns out it was an iodine patient in the car behind
that one.

Al Conklin
Lead Trainer and Health Physicist
Radiological Emergency Preparedness Section
Office of Radiation Protection
Department of Health
office: 360-236-3261
cell: 360-239-1237