[ RadSafe ] Re: radsafe Digest, Vol 181, Issue 3

Philip Egidi pvegidi at smtpgate.dphe.state.co.us
Mon Jan 26 14:17:42 CST 2009

I had a Cardiolite (Tc-99m) stress test a few months ago, and was radiating pretty good for about a week. My readings were consistent with what you are reporting, although I didn't write them down.

The amount administered probably varies according to the patients size (let's not go there).  If I remember correctly, they gave two administrations, one only a few millicuries, the second much more (~140 mCi?). I do remember that I was > 5 mR/h at 1m the first day (my Ludlum Model 19 only goes up to 5 mR/h). I believe it still showed about 2 mR/h @ 1 foot (note the change in distance) after three days. When I demonstrated the inverse square law to my family using myself as the source, my wife thought that a good enough reason for me to sleep on the couch for a few nights! She noted that I was hotter than the ore and mill tailings samples I keep out in the shed, so off to the couch I went. At least she didn't make me sleep in the shed! Yet.
Phil Egidi
CDPHE

>>> On 1/26/2009 at 12:10 PM, in message <4AFD287104F71D48A958EFCB1DCC118402FFF331 at LSRIEXCH1.lsmaster.lifespan.org>, "North, David" <DNorth at Lifespan.org> wrote:
Some medical radionuclides do have short half-lives. However, thallium-201 is sometimes used for the cardiac imaging, and has a half-life of a bit over 3 days. Plus, it tends to be excreted relatively slowly. If you friend had a technetium-99m radiopharmaceutical for the exam (half-life about 6 hours), I don't know what the answer might be.

David L. North, Sc.M., DABR
Associate Physicist
Medical Physics
Main Bldg. Rm 317