[ RadSafe ] medical issues

Dale Boyce daleboyce at charter.net
Wed Jan 28 21:03:02 CST 2009

Radioisotopes used in medicine usually contain impurities at some level. In
the case of Tl-201 the overlap in energy of the excitation functions for the
reactions Tl-203(p,2n)Pb-202, Tl-203(p,3n)Pb-201, and Tl-203(p,4n)Pb-200
lead to the Tl-200 and Tl-202 in the end product.

Manufacturers optimize the entrance energy of the protons to control the
Tl-200 activity, and the apparent target thickness to control the beam exit
energy to control the Tl-202. However due to commodity prices of Tl-201 they
try to control it to leave the maximum acceptable impurities.

I think Mike Stabin and I had a discussion quite a few years ago about
permissible exposure to the patient due to impurities. I know that I have
had the discussion with several medical physicists in the last year. It
seems to be tribal lore that the "limit" is 5 % of the total dose. Although,
I haven't found a reference.

That said the only limits I have found in U.S. regulations or guidance are
very specific limits for some radiopharmaceuticals. For example there are
limits in the U.S. Pharmacopea for Mo-99 in Tc-99m. There are other
radiopharmaceuticals that have no limits specified.

Dale