[ RadSafe ] Internal Dosimetry and FGR 11

Perrero, Daren Daren.Perrero at illinois.gov
Fri Jan 30 17:17:28 CST 2009

Can someone out there help clarify an issue for me and reinforce my
notion that there's no such thing as a dumb question?

FGR 11 is based on modeling from ICRP 30.  In specific Tables 2.1 and
2.2 in that document provides estimates of committed dose equivalents
for INTAKES (my emphasis added) of various radionuclides.  The term
INTAKE in this context does NOT mean the amount of material measured
in-vivo in an organ such as the breast, lung, or thyroid.   The in-vivo
measurement, or UPTAKE, needs to be converted to INTAKE in order to
apply the values found in FGR 11.  Intakes can be estimated by using a
reference such as NUREG/CR-4884 if the interval between the date of the
event and the measurement is known.

Is my understanding correct or am I making this harder than it needs to
be?

Daren Perrero
The opinions expressed are mine, all mine....
I'm with the government, I'm here to help you.
Daren.Perrero(a)Illinois.gov