[ RadSafe ] nuke fun

Dale Boyce daleboyce at charter.net
Fri Jul 10 21:53:20 CDT 2009

Reminds me of an event quite a few years ago while I was still a university
RSO. The university held a very elaborate annual scavenger hunt. Each item
had a point value, and required a great deal of effort and a road trip of
hundreds of miles. Each year there was a game winner item that carried so
many points that pulling it off almost guaranteed a win.

One year one of the items (all items had to be physically brought to the
judging location) was a breeder reactor. A group of students (team event)
figured out that a jar of uranium salt is (very slowly) creating Pu-239 from
neutron background. The physics professor judge confirmed that they were
producing Pu-239, and they accrued a significant number of points in the
contest.

It made the local newspapers, and as I remember it was a couple of weeks
later, I received a call from our agreement state agency, that had received
a call from the NRC, looking for an explanation of how a nuclear reactor
came to have been built in a dorm room.

Now, given said university had a history of building a reactor in an unusual
location, so I was happy to explain that the students had won on a
technicality and not on actuality. The one conversation closed the issue,
and no neighborhoods were evacuated.

TGIF see you in Minneapolis

Dale