[ RadSafe ] DU Disposal in Utah

Mon Jul 20 11:48:46 CDT 2009

Hi, Franz.

As has been pointed out, there is A LOT of DU-Hexafluoride being stored in sub optimal locations and situations.  I understand that there is at least one facility that is planning to convert DU to some other form (probably some oxide, though I don't know for sure) in order to recover the fluorine.  This will reduce the volume of the DU, and stabilize it chemically.

As for "disposal" of the DU:  I view it more as long term storage.  There is nothing that can be done that will destroy DU, short of running it through a reactor.  Sending it to Utah for burial in at the disposal site places it in a secure location, surrounded by enough radioactive material to scare off the general public, and where it can sit until someone wants it.  I am confident that the records of the facility will be good enough that it can be found and recovered with very little effort.

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at radlab.nl [mailto:radsafe-bounces at radlab.nl] On Behalf Of Franz Schönhofer
Sent: Saturday, July 18, 2009 5:05 AM
To: radsafe at radlab.nl
Cc: 'Roger Helbig'
Subject: AW: [ RadSafe ] DU Disposal in Utah

RADSAFErs,

I have a very simple question regarding DU. Maybe I miss some point or maybe I am simply naiv.

Why is everybody so eager to dispose of DU? Why is much work done to convert DU-Hexafluoride into a disposable compound? Wouldn't it be better to keep it for the time, when Pu-breeders will be commercially available? It might be a commercial question, that at the time being there is enough Pu-239 available from surplus weapons that no additional Pu-239 is needed? Or is there any political question like the decision long ago in the USA not to reprocess nuclear fuel?

My personal opinion is that the worst option of disposing it of is to dispose it in form of ammunition at the battle field.....

Best regards,

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer, PhD
MinRat i.R.