[ RadSafe ] UN2910 Labeling for EXEMPT Calibration Sources - Yes orNo

Dan W McCarn hotgreenchile at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 12:57:55 CDT 2009

Dear Group:

Cary stated: Based on 49 CFR 173.436; IATA 10.4.2.1; The total for all
sources is ~96% of the exempt consignment limit – “i.e. you do not have
radioactive material
”

>From the training materials from University of Iowa, Slide 31

http://tinyurl.com/IATA-10-4-2-1

supports this view.

The combined activity does not warrant any special handling, as Cary pointed
out.

Cary appears to be correct! If so, I do not need to label anything.

Is this the consensus?

To be clear to all, I am moving from France back to the USA. These are
calibration sources for a 1024 channel MCA / spectrometer using a 3x3"
NaI(Tl) detector. I included them as a UN2910 labeled package in my
household shipment from the USA to France, no one seemed to question it, and
the bill of lading for the shipment reflected that. They are lead shielded
(about 9 cm length x 6 cm diameter with a 1.25 cm wall thickness) and the
sources themselves are labeled according to USNRC regulation.

As an aside, the activity from the surface of the lead shield (Ludlum Model
19):

0 cm is 150 uR/hr

15 cm is 23 uR/hr

25 cm is 16 uR/hr

50 cm is 11 uR/hr

100cm is 10 uR/hr

Background activity is 9 uR/hr;

Larry Webb at Spectrum Techniques writes:

   All exempt sources must have a label, see attached generic label.

   Must have per USNRC regulation for distribution.

   isotope

   activity

   half-life

   radiation type

   rad symbol

   exempt material statement

   manufacturer

   (we add date of manufacture stamp)

   Yes, we are also have difficulty with carriers.

   Countries are creating new internal rules that may differ from
international accepted rules and regulations.

   Some require prior permission, others delivery to air port only.

   Some of these are published in the IATA regulation, per ICAO guidelines.

   If you have a specific country, let me know, I may be able to assist with
rules.

Dan ii

  _____