[ RadSafe ] Exempt Quantity source shipments

Cary Renquist cary.renquist at ezag.com
Fri Jul 24 17:39:12 CDT 2009

Geo:     "I have talked today with those that are in the know and are in the
          business of selling exempt quantity sources, they still tell me, no>
          an unlicensed end user can't TRANSFER and exempt source.We wish it
          were otherwise"

I think that you are taking a rather broad definition of transfer as it relates to Dan's
initial question about shipping the sources....   Transfer in the NRC regulatory sense relating
to exempt sources is transfer of ownership not transport.

As long as the sources were initially transferred by a licensed entity, an individual can transfer
ownership as well as long as it is not a commercial transfer e.g. giving them to neighbor, donating
to school, etc. as long as it is not related to a commercial transaction.

The HP position paper that you cite, clearly gives an example of a commercial transfer of ownership.

>From NUREG 1556-8-rev1:
This exemption allows persons to receive, possess, use, own, or acquire small quantities of
byproduct material and to transfer items such as tissue samples and counting standards to other
unlicensed persons on an occasional basis, not for commercial benefit, without a distribution license.
When the transfer of byproduct material in individual quantities not exceeding the limits set in §30.71,
Schedule B, occurs for commercial benefit, then §§30.18(c) and (d) apply and the manufacture,
transfer, or distribution to persons exempt from licensing requirements must be specifically licensed.
Therefore, each person engaging in the commercial transfer or distribution of exempt distribution
products must have a license authorizing distribution under §32.18. The commercial transfer of a
product refers to the introduction of a material into the marketplace, whether or not a charge is
assessed for that distribution. Commercial benefit does not necessarily include a monetary exchange

FYI:
Before the EPAct, some states had a 10 exempt quantity possession limit for NORM/ARM sources.

Cary

---
Cary Renquist
cary.renquist at ezag.com