SV: AW: [ RadSafe ] The world's first permanent disposal sitefor used nuclear fuel will be at Forsmark, Sweden's SKB announcedtoday.

George Stanford gstanford at aya.yale.edu
Fri Jun 5 12:26:39 CDT 2009

Mr. Olsson:

         Thanks for your clarifying
comments.  Regarding your statement that the
decision-makers ARE informed, I have a few questions:

1.  What was the decision-makers' definition of
"reprocessing"?  Was it PUREX and MOX only (which
certainly has limitations and disadvantages), or
did it include fast reactors with pyroprocessing?

2.  Was the fact recognized that thermal reactors
(once-through or not) have to struggle to use
even one percent of the energy in the uranium that is mined?

3.  Did the decision-makers recognize the ability
of fast reactors to deal with the waste, making
unnecessary any plans for 100,000-year isolation?

4.  Did the decision-makers recognize the ability
of fast reactors to utilize 99% of the mined uranium's energy?

5.  Is ease of retrievability one of the design
criteria?  Or is it just that the possibility
exists to treat the repository as a uranium mine sometime in the future?

         If you can't answer these questions,
perhaps you could refer them to someone who can.

         Thanks in advance for any additional information you can provide.

         Best wishes,

         -- George